The Nurse Manager is responsible for the management of the
OB/NICU units, ensuring that optimum patient care is provided by
staff members in an efficient and cost effective manner. The
manager has 24-hour accountability for the exercise of these
responsibilities in accord with the philosophy and objectives of
the Division of Patient Care Services and the goals of the Medical
• Ensures compliance with regulatory and accreditation
• Conducts hiring, training, directing, development and
evaluating of staff.
• Identifies and resolves issues affecting the delivery of
patient care services for the assigned unit(s). Develops and
implements policies and procedures to ensure efficient and
effective delivery of health services in a unit.
• Monitors and adheres to budget. Approves or monitors
expenditures, purchases and other actions to ensure compliance with
• Collaborates with the Clinical Nurse Leader and Staff
Development Department to develop programs designed to assist the
staff nurse in the progression of novice to expert in the practice
• Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of
nursing practice and services. Evaluates factors related to safety,
outcomes, effectiveness, cost and social impact when developing and
implementing practice innovations.
• Provides leadership and direction to nursing unit staff and
has 24 hour accountability ensuring all quality, financial, and
service benchmarks as well as compliance with environmental care
standards are met.
• Provides direct supervision to employees in an environment
that fosters employee participation, constructive feedback, ongoing
recognition and respect to ensure that quality services are
provided by a qualified, competent staff.
• Other Duties as assigned
• Reflects ANA Scope and Standards of Nursing Practice (2015),
ANA Code of Ethics (2015), and ANA Social Policy Statement
Licensure / Certification / Registration:
• Licensed Registered Nurse credentialed from the Connecticut
Department of Public Health obtained prior to hire date or job
• Specialty Certification preferred
One or more of the following:
• Certified BLS Provider credentialed from the American Heart
Association (AHA) obtained within 2 Months (60 days) of hire date
or job transfer date.
• Certified BLS Provider credentialed from the American Red
Cross obtained within 2 Months (60 days) of hire date or job
• Evidence of leadership ability, critical thinking and
effective communication skills. Team building ability is
• BSN Required, MSN Preferred. Must have five or more years
related clinical experience as well as demonstrated leadership
We take great care of careers.