Cloud Engineer (US - Remote)
Posted on: November 18, 2022
Job SummaryAs a member of the IT Operations group, reporting to
the Senior Manager of Platform Services, the Cloud Engineer
primarily focused on managing, educating and troubleshooting of our
AWS PaaS offerings,. You will collaborate with individuals at all
levels of the organization as a spokesperson and an expert in
cloud, in support of various programs and projects, and as you
build and nurture these offerings. Key success factors include a
positive attitude, good work ethics and the ability to work
independently as well as within teams. As part of this
well-respected IT group, you will enjoy a wide variety work in
emerging technologies within a supportive team environment.
Due to work that is performed in this position related to the U.S.
Government and Controlled Unclassified Information, this role
requires proof of U.S. citizenship, and the work may only be
performed while located on U.S. soil.MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND
RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance):
- Design and configure cloud solutions and cloud automation.
- Work closely with the Network and Security teams to architect,
deploy and configure cloud connectivity, the underlying cloud
foundation and cloud security layers (cloud accounts, network
buildout, cloud subnetting, and security settings)
- Provide guidance and design support to manage service
- Write and maintain scripts to increase efficiency and reduce
- Build/manage CI/CD framework for CloudFormation activities
- Manage and maintain cloud services and settings using cloud
- Configure backup & disaster recovery and troubleshoots issues
related to backup and DR.
- Support proof-of-concept initiatives in cloud "sandboxes" to
address business challenges.
- Assist application teams to refactor and migrate applications
to public cloud services.
- Identify cloud savings opportunities through improved
configuration of existing systems.
- Monitor for and review alerts and notifications related to
cloud service events.
- Adhere to and comply with change management processes and
- Assist with setting processes and determining tools for
enterprise service delivery.
- Advocate for cloud through participation and leadership in
cloud center of knowledge and cloud ideation work-sessions.
- Support leadership team in streamlining processes for
enterprise level service delivery.
- Support leadership team in developing technical roadmaps for
future cloud implementations.
- Review new and emerging cloud offerings for enterprise fit and
- Resolve cloud issues and participate in global incident
management as needed.
- Ensure security is integrated into all cloud architecture
- Other duties as assignedQUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training,
Experience and Certifications):
- Three or more years of work experience with AWS
- Five or more years of experience in IT is highly desirable
- Experience in cloud migration, cloud service implementation and
troubleshooting are highly desirable
- Network hands-on experience is highly desirable
- Experience with management of Linux & Windows operating systems
and scripting in Python, YAML and similar languages is
- Bachelor's degree in computer science and AWS certification are
- This role requires proof of U.S. citizenship, and the work may
only be performed while located on U.S. soilSKILLS AND ABILITIES
(Those necessary to perform the job competently):
- Development and support of IaaS and PaaS cloud services in
- Thorough understanding of AWS cloud infrastructure (VPC,
ALB/NLB, EBS, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, EC2, Cloud Security
- Good working knowledge of Cloud Orchestration, automation and
Infrastructure as Code (CloudFormation)
- Highly skilled in scripting
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Accustomed to work within the ITIL framework of Incident,
Problem, Change, Configuration and Release Management is highly
- Additional qualities:
- Desire to focus on and please the customer, ability to
understand requests from the customer's point of view
- Commitment to high professional and ethical standards in a
diverse workplaceENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT
(Under Typical Positions):
- Remote-work is an option with the ability to remain as such if
agreed upon during the hiring process. (monthly or quarterly office
visits are still encouraged when possible)
- Hybrid-work is preferred by many coworkers in this
organization, ranging from two to four days in the office and one
to three days from home
- Full-time work from the office is also an option
- Some offices have been modernized and include amenities such as
optional standing desks, please inquire during the interview
- Reasonable flexibility in working hours is mutual, flexibility
may be agreed to for support of personal needs and can also be
necessary to support work activities and deadlines
- Diverse abilities may be accommodated in this role more easily
than a similar role at other companies for reasons that include the
remote-work potential, the use of Microsoft Teams for nearly all
remote meetings (enabling near real-time closed captioning during
meetings) and/or working hours flexibility
- Personal computer will be supplied, adequate network
connectivity while working remotely is required and is the
responsibility of the individual
- Minimal physical effort is required, work is mostly
- A frequent volume of work and deadlines does impose some
- Typically work is performed during the business hours of North
American eastern time, with occasional flexibility up or down to
support after hours releases or meetings with India and
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required
of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.EEO
Statement:We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer.
We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender
identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed,
national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by federal,
state/province, or local law. If you need a reasonable
accommodation for any part of the employment process, please
contact us by email at email@example.com and let us
know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case
basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for
reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email
address.For more information about equal employment opportunity
protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE
LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency
Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.EEO is the
LawOFCCP EEO SupplementPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION
PROVISION3rd Party Non-Solicitation Policy:By submitting candidates
without having been formally assigned on and contracted for a
specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with
the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the
submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and
conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will
take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on
its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation.
Keywords: Avantor, Bridgeport , Cloud Engineer (US - Remote), Engineering , Bridgeport, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!